As any smoker that has tried to quit will tell you, quitting smoking is one of the most difficult things anyone can do.
Every smoker knows the short- and long-term health risks, they know the financial burden, they know that smoking involves huddling outside pub doorways in the pouring rain. Yet still, they do it. These facts alone show how difficult it is to stop smoking, few other things have the same power over us that despite all this, we continue to puff.
Vaping has helped millions of smokers kick the habit
This evolution of the e-cig has made it the first product that is so effective that many health services are now advocating and promoting its use as a frontline treatment for smokers wanting to give up.
These days there are hundreds of great devices that are perfect for beginners looking to quit smoking, including pod kits and sub-ohm vaping kits.
How Vaping Differs from Other Methods
Smokers face a battle on two fronts when they decide to give up. The physical withdrawal from nicotine and the mental battle to give up a habit that is so ingrained it feels like smoking is part of who we are.
Either one of these on its own is bad enough, but combine them, and you have a perfect storm.
Nicotine is a highly addictive substance rating on a par with cocaine and heroin when it comes to its addictive potency and the ferocity of its withdrawal symptoms, symptoms that include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Irritability and frustration
- Severe anxiety and restlessness
These symptoms can last up to a month, during which the sufferer is coping with these symptoms every minute of every day. However, this is just the beginning because running alongside this is arguably the biggest hurdle the smoker faces, kicking a habit that has often been with us all our adult lives.
Kicking the Habit
A month might seem like a long time, but with some willpower giving up nicotine is eminently doable. Nicotine replacement therapies can take most of the pain away and gradually wean smokers of the drug.
But, for many, this is where the real battle begins. Smoking becomes a ritual. It is something that we enjoy with a cup of coffee, after a meal, or with a glass of wine. For the smoker, these things just don’t seem complete without a cigarette to accompany them.
The problem of kicking the habit is a far longer battle than nicotine withdrawal and has been the downfall of countless failed attempts.
How vaping can help
Put simply, the beauty of vaping is that it addresses both these factors in one neat little bundle. The vape that is produced has a set amount of nicotine in it, which can be gradually reduced if required.
But more importantly, by mimicking the process of smoking, it deals nicely with the “kicking the habit” part of the battle. For many smokers, this is/has been the perfect solution and means they can still enjoy the sensation of smoking at all those crucial times.
Nicotine Levels When Stopping Smoking
Most smokers will begin with e-liquids that contain nicotine. Some will continue to vape and use nicotine indefinitely, others will gradually reduce the nicotine to zero but continue to vape, and some will use vaping only short term until they are weaned off the habit and the drug.
There is no right or wrong way to do it, but most success stories will start with a high level of nicotine which is gradually reduced, perhaps to zero. Common strengths are detailed below:
- 18mg – This is the strong end of the scale, heavy smokers and those who preferred high-strength cigarettes would be best starting at this strength.
- 12mg – Medium strength but still considered a good strength for many beginners.
- 6mg – Lower strength, and often used by experienced vapers who are using more powerful devices.
- 0mg – This is useful for those who have kicked nicotine but not the habit, it is also frequently used by vapers who add nicotine to their preferred strength.
It is worth pointing out that although nicotine is the addictive compound in smoking, it is not one of the major health risks, and although not risk-free, many vapers will continue to use it throughout their vaping journey.
Tips for giving up smoking with vaping
- Plan your date – Put a date in the calendar and make sure all your new vape gear is ready to go on day one.
- Don’t be discouraged by setbacks – Most of us will suffer at least one setback, this is normal and doesn’t mean you’ve failed – Keep at it!
- Get the right kit – Knowing what gear to buy is crucial, at Direct2U E-Cigs we can offer all the advice you need to get started on your way to freedom from cigarettes.
- Put the money you save on cigarettes in a jar – Even with the initial outlay, vaping works out substantially cheaper than cigarettes, saving the money gives you a visual reminder of just how much good you are doing to your pocket.
Although the jury is still out on just how safe vaping is, the consensus is that it is orders of magnitude safer than smoking. This makes it the perfect answer to those smokers that want to kick the habit, and deep down inside, there aren’t many smokers who don’t want to quit.
At Direct2U E-Cigs, we can help set you on the path that will let you say goodbye to cigarettes and the social stigma of smoking forever. Why not contact us today and find out more about the range of superb products we have in stock that make giving up smoking a breeze.